The on-the-job workplace trainers are at the frontline of the Academy’s apprenticeship training program and crucial to its success. We believe that the people best suited to this task are the store owners’ own on-site supervisors and contract installers.
There are several reasons for this:
- at a quality level, they are the personnel who have already been entrusted to uphold the company’s reputation in customer service and quality installations
- at a business level, it is the most efficient and cost-effective way for a store owner to manage the on-site work culture and morale among employees
- from the installers’ perspective, it is a ‘vote of confidence’ in their skills and experience, and a recognition of their value to the company.
workplace trainers attributes
Workplace Trainers carry a lot of responsibility. They have to understand the fact that in addition to being a face-to-face trainer, they are also the apprentice’s main role model for the attitudes and ethics they will develop as they learn their trade and become part of the industry.
Obviously, our workplace trainers must be skilled installers, preferably with at least five years’ experience in two or more types of floor coverings. These may include carpet, vinyl, timber and engineered products, in both domestic and commercial applications. However, they must also be clear communicators, sympathetic mentors and strong believers in ‘best practice’ standards.
All workplace trainers will be required to hold a Gold level Trade Card and maintain its currency by undertaking regular professional development activities. These activities will include periodic master classes, trainers’ workshops and e-learning courses delivered through the Academy’s website.
The other accreditations that workplace trainers are required to hold are determined by WorkCover and other government agencies. These include:
- White Card (WorkCover Construction Induction Certificate)
- Working with Children check (or equivalent) – for trainers working with Apprentices under 18 years of age
- WorkCover high risk licenses – for any work or machinery operation that requires this licence.