Each apprenticeship training program contains three residential workshops, held at the beginning, middle and end of the program. Training programs that start in February, for example, will have residential schools scheduled over three successive Februaries.
The duration of each workshop is one week, commencing on a Monday morning and finishing at midday on Friday. Apprentices are expected to arrive on the Sunday evening, ready for an early start the next day, and return home on either Friday afternoon or Saturday.
All training costs are covered by the Academy. However, travelling, accommodation, meals and other expenses must be met by the employer.
These intensive residential workshops allow our national training mentors and specialist trainers to cover a number of important aspects of the apprenticeship program in a face-to-face environment:
- culture and work ethic of Choices Flooring and the Newfurn Training Academy
- selection of elective units to match the specialisations that the apprentice and their employer wish to pursue
- career paths and future opportunities in the industry
- progress in the apprentices’ current training program, including any problems individuals may be having with particular units
- hands-on assessment events in specific installation techniques and skills
- specialist workshops delivered by alliance partners and other industry experts
- site visits to alliance partners’ manufacturing plants or distribution centres